5.28.2011

five reasons to retire

We are in Dallas this weekend celebrating that Papa is about to retire! His school had a retirement party for him and another counselor on Friday and then Keith and the boys went with Papa to the Rangers game last night. Today, we took him to see Kung Fu Panda 2 and he took us to McDonald's. Needless to say, it has been fun celebrating that he is about to be available for Papa duty 24/7 ;-)

I'm sure there are quite a lot more reasons for Dad to retire, but the youngest five in the picture are at the top of that list ;-). They're all going to benefit from having more Papa time.


Both Keith and Karen were born after Dad started working at North Garland. His faithfulness to his wife, children, and his work are such great examples he has passed down to his kids and grand kids.

I love this pic below because it captures the friendship that Keith has with his dad. I don't know...maybe because I never really had a good relationship with my father, I'm always blessed by how much Keith respects his dad and values his input on life.

The boys retreated to Papa's office to enjoy his retirement cake....
Speaking of his office, I don't know if I've ever mentioned what Papa likes to collect...see if you can guess...


I remember a couple of times while we were in high school when Dad took us to McDonald's and bought all the teenagers 2 happy meals (when they were .99¢) as long as we gave him the toys that came with it :-) The kids love going to his office to play with all the toys....I wonder what the high schoolers think when they come visit him for the first time.



They have worked together for many years and are now retiring together. For those of you who know the Ferguson's love of Rangers baseball, you'll appreciate the retirement shirts that their co-workers had made for the occasion.

Brynlee is obviously ready for Papa to retire so he'll have more free time to hold her. I got this pic as she was looking at me with the "Look, mom, I got my way," eyes.

Congrats, Papa, for all your faithful years of service - we love you and are so proud of you!


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So glad to have you all here to share this sweet memory! Such great pictures, too.
Love, Mama e.

Alice Byrne said...

Congrats to your Papa. He'll have his hands full with his grandkids, that's for sure. That's a fun way to spend one's time after the retirement. Being with family is wonderful.