2.27.2009

What I'm Reading

For those of you who know me well, you know that pretty much everything interests me. That can be a huge problem in my life because I start a lot of stuff and try to learn about a lot at once. Then, I get very overwhelmed when I realize how much I've started and need to finish. My current book reads will give you a glimpse of what I'm talking about:

always reading: my Bible, I was reminded today in our theology class that we are meant to delight in this Book. It is amazing to me how I honestly do delight in it when I'm reading it, but as soon as I get busy with life, I can so quickly forget how wonderful and truly life-changing God's Word to us really is.
Keith is taking the staff and elder wives thru a theology class right now. We are using Grudem's Bible Doctrine (it's supposed to be the concise version of his longer Systematic Theology :). I am eating this class up. I have been so challenged to want to really know the doctrines that I claim to hold on to. I love having a husband who constantly challenges me to study God's Word and to know what I believe.

The class has gotten me so fired up to help women understand our faith better. In searching for a way to teach other ladies what I'm learning, but at an easier pace, I had a friend show me this next book that I'm reading: Practical Theology for Women by Wendy Alsup. So far, I am loving this concise book of theology. I have already been reminded of the tremendous impact that studying God has on our day to day life. The way I parent, treat people, how I choose to spend my time, talents, treasures, etc., all are affected by what I believe to be true. The Bible says that the "fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." I so want to be wise in all the areas of my life and it seems that to be wise I must fear the Lord and in order to fear the Lord, I must study His character.


Next on the list, Waking Up Dry...this one is for one of our sons who has got to be the deepest sleeper ever. He just doesn't wake up for anything, including when he needs to go pee. So, I am reading about the many causes of bedwetting and how to fix the problem. I'll keep you posted on this one :)

We are still in the prayer process of determining where Kade will experience Kindergarten next year. To understand the homeschooling option, I chose the biggest homeschooling book on the market, I think. What is wrong with me? But, it is loaded with every piece of information I could possibly want to know. Now it's just a matter of getting thru the whole book.

Also, I am reading a book about a certain nutrition plan that could eliminate Keith's need for oral medication for his diabetes. It's a book by Dr. Pompa. I have a friend who has been on the plan for one month and has seen a dramatic difference in her health. It would require major changes for us, so please pray that we will have wisdom and discipline if this is a route we should take.

And to top it off, I have Southern Living, Creating Keepsakes, and Labrador Retriever magazines on my bedside table.

How many of ya'll are as scattered as I am in your reading and other areas of life? Do you have the same problem that I do - where everything interests you and you want to do it all right then? And advice as to how to cope with this crazy character trait :) ?

Guess what? We brought home Gracie today - nope, not a baby like we usually bring home, but a chocolate lab puppy. I'll hopefully be able to post pics soon.

God bless!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barie, just an encouragement for the Waking Up Dry book - Emma was our deep sleeper, she still is and was wetting the bed to the point I had my 4 year old in pull ups and was hoping she would kick it before Kindergarten starts. She finally got herself to the point where she will go before bed and not wet through the night. Everything I tried to get her to stop had no success, but she has not wet the bed in months now - I think it is the same as that whole pottytraining on their schedule thing!

Gennae H. said...

I went to the library two months ago with a list of books that I wanted to read. Well, I checked them out and have read half of one. I got busy doing the homework for the Esther study and our Seeds study for our RLG. Looks like the books will go back to the library without being read by me! I'll have to write down the titles and authors so when life slows down a bit I can try again.

Parkhurst Studios said...

you got a puppy!?!?!! chocolate labs are the cutest. good choice! looking forward to meeting it...after that stage where it's teeth are razor sharp and they bite everything...lol ;o)

Mandy said...

Please, please, please post anything you figure out that works with the whole bedwetting thing! My 4 year old still is not dry at night, and he too is a very deep sleeper! I really don't know how to fix that problem. Tired of buying Pull-ups!!!