2.13.2009

Ahi Tuna on a Bed of Spinach

Yes, that's what my man endured for love tonight. Here's the story...Keith and I head out for date night. We start off with a massage given to us by a sweet friend at Salon Ciao Bella. The massages were awesome - a perfect start. Then, we get in the car and begin the discussion of where do we want to eat dinner. Keith says, "I am craving mexican food...let's go to Pasado's." I say, "That sounds good, but why don't we head downtown and try something new?" You see, I love to try new things, whether that be a new adventure or new food. Keith, on the other hand, isn't so much into the new foods thing. But, for the sake of romance, he rolls with my idea. So, off we head towards downtown Austin and end up at The Belmont, on the recommendation of a good friend. Everything is going well until the waitress comes to take our order. Keith is just about to order a burger, but he, being such a gentleman, let's me go first. I ask her about a particular item and she says it's not the best, then goes on about the special of the night, Ahi Tuna on a Bed of Spinach with Pomegranate and Oranges. Now, I've never had any tuna except that in a can and NEVER with pomegranates, so I immediately say that we'll try it and just split it. Oh, the look on Keith's face as he tries to be a team player and still go along with my craziness, even though he has just lost out on a good Mexican dinner and now a good, juicy burger.

Then it arrives. And Keith tries a bite. And he gags. And he tries again. And he still gags.

I'm thinking I just tried my last "new" food for awhile, at least until the taste of raw fish leaves his memory.

The atmosphere was awesome though. And the service was incredible. They have live music there and you can sit outside on a patio in the middle of downtown...how cool is that? Afterwards, we walked up 6th to Congress and then all the way up to the Capitol building. What fun times. I so enjoy the downtown atmosphere. Being there makes me want to sell our home in the suburbs and move into an apartment in the center of the city.

4 comments:

Brent said...

I've been wanting to sell our house in the suburbs and into a loft in the center of the city for about 15 years. It costs to do that, man. Big time. But I still want to do it.

Elizabeth said...

I think the saying "Birds of a feather, flock together" goes with this one...ha. Dad and I ended up at On the Border - sampler plate. We didn't even look at the menu. I'm afraid you just convinced me that there is a reason to stay with things that you know...ha. I know what you mean about the downtown atmosphere - nice for a change. Glad you enjoyed your night out!
See ya soon...Love, Mom E.

Kendall said...

Wow! You would think that a church-planter would be up for an adventurous date night! (just kidding...Keith. ;)

Your story cracked me up. I think it sounded like an awesome date. Massages! I'm jealous. And I totally know who suggested The Belmont! That was the place where my high school had my 10 yr reunion.

Ok, y'all must have done some serious walking to get to the capitol from there. You must be training for a triathalon or something.
KC

Morale said...

Ha! That was funny. Yeah, Jacob refuses to eat new food. Especially at dinner time. So lucky are you to have a man to be adventurous with. Even when it turns out to be a gag. LOL. Hopy you are all feeling better!
love
Morale.