3.28.2014

pity confrontation

I have told myself for over a year now not to even bother with posting on the blog because I was so far behind but I want to record our life for my sake so bad.  I love looking back and reading all the posts from the past and want to treasure this time in our family's life too.  The memories I treasure most are ones I stopped and took time to write about.

The past month has been full of health issues for our family.  I miscarried for the fourth time in February and had to have an emergency D&C. Krue was throwing up the day I had surgery and that kicked off a whole week of Norovirus attack on our family.  Everyone except for Keith got hit - including E.  We got a brief break while we were in Haiti and on vacation in Tyler but then came back to a visit from the Flu virus for Keith.  Just as we thought recovery was in sight, today Krue was diagnosed with the Flu and a double ear infection and Keith was diagnosed with a secondary sinus infection from a weakened immune system that the Flu left him with. 

We have missed countless fun events throughout this run of sickness....lots of missed Bible studies, church, Pastor's Wives lunch date and retreat, birthday parties, friend lunch dates, Marriage Gala and the latest was a visit from E. and Papa and a dressy date night at a nice restaurant with my man that we had made plans for tonight.  So....how are we holding up?

Actually, I have enjoyed this evening thoroughly.  Granny blessed us with a Chuy's dinner and then we watched Tangled in our bedroom with all our kids piled on the bed with us.  I have had time to hold my baby boy while he cries through his miserableness and laugh with my big kids watching the movie.

At 4:30 p.m., I was ready to just sit down and cry.  I was on the verge of giving in to a strong bout of pity.  But God, in His mercy, took me downstairs to dinner to hear my oldest pray this, "God, thank you for blessing us with more than we need and for our large family."  Pity confronted and replaced with the truth that God is good and worthy of our hearts full of thanksgiving and praise to Him even when life isn't as "fun" as we would like it to be.  He doesn't desire to make our lives comfortable and fun, He desires for us to glorify Him all the time, in all circumstances, in our tears and in our smiles.  I go to bed tonight meditating on 1 Thes 5.18, "Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." 

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh Barie! Welcome back to blogging! So fun to see you pop up on my list of recent posts. This post made me cry a little. I sympathize and empathize. Was challenged and convicted and blessed by your words. Love you and praying for health for all and a continued strength for you to be thankful in all things.

Barie Sue said...

Laura, it helps to have friends like you who can smile during good times and harder times!