5.09.2009

Good Friday

A couple of weeks ago, we celebrated Easter, beginning with Good Friday. It is always a fun-filled day for us, but this year we really wanted to make sure that, as a family, we spent time reflecting on the seriousness of that day for Christ so long ago. It was such a God-thing that the day before Good Friday, I met with Kathy and Kendall for our regular mentoring time and this topic came up. They reminded me about the service their church (HCBC - Pflugerville) was having for Good Friday. So, Keith and I decided to take the boys so that it would give us another opportunity to reflect with our kids on the cross and the incredible sacrifice that Jesus made for us. As we sat there and watched the pictures flash on the screen, I saw the boys, especially Kade, watch with an intensity and seriousness that usually does not characterize them. They asked a lot of questions that night. Before bed, we did the Resurrection Eggs with them.

When Kade trusted Christ as his Savior a couple of weeks ago, he brought up the Good Friday service and the eggs. He said, "Remember mom and dad when we saw those pictures Jesus on the cross - I know he did that for me." You just never know the moment when your children will grasp the gospel for themselves. That's why it is so important to not get weary in pouring the truth of God's Word into our children. I honestly do find myself struggling sometimes to see the importance of talking about the gospel with my children when I'm in my daily parenting mode. I know it is so important, but I struggle because it just doesn't seem as urgent as the other 15 tasks that are staring me in the face. As I sit here reflecting on the incredible role of "mom," I am reminded that my most important task is to shepherd their hearts towards the One who created them and sacrificed his very life so that they could be free and live life with a peace that is only available thru Christ.

Like I said earlier, Good Friday was filled with fun. It is a tradition for our family to visit the local feed store on Good Friday to see the Easter bunny and colored chicks. The boys love to play on the tractors and other ride-ons while we snap as many pictures as we can. E. and Papa met us there and then we headed over to a park for lunch with some friends. We spent the afternoon dying Easter eggs.



I don't think I can do a short post.
Happy Mother's Day to all of you reading this!

No comments: